Sunday, December 26, 2010

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas (or, Christmas in Cambodia)

I’m not sure I am a fan of 85°F Christmases. Actually, I am pretty much 100% sure that I prefer freezing cold, snowy Christmases. Even though my Christmas this year was of the 85 degrees and sunny variety, it was still an exciting day.

The day began with a medical scare: My friend Bonnie came downstairs and asked me for my thermometer for our other friend, because she was feeling a little warm. When Bonnie came to give back the thermometer, she said that the fever was 106 degrees, or, at least, that’s what I thought she said. At that point, you are in big trouble, so I freaked out and started rushing around to get to the clinic. We finally got to the clinic after fighting with our tuk-tuk driver about how to get there, and then were told we couldn’t stay, because our friend had to sleep. When we got back to the apartment, Bonnie and I were talking and she told me that the fever was just 101.6 degrees, so I calmed down a bit, and was able to help make food for lunch.

After picking up our friend at around noontime, most of the volunteers gathered on the rooftop for a big potluck dinner. We had spring rolls; guacamole and chips and salsa; mashed potatoes; BBQ; fried rice; salad; and (my favorite part) falafel. For dessert there was mango and chocolate mousse.

I received a pair of pants from my Secret Santa, and even though the pants are awesome, the best present was talking to my family on their Christmas morning and watching them all open presents over Skype.

No comments:

Post a Comment