Friday, December 3, 2010

A Day at the Palace

When I first started working at SCC, I was working with Josh from Australia. Josh came up with the idea to one day, take our students on a field trip to the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda, with a romp in the park after lunch. He ended up leaving before we could actually go on the excursion, but I was able to make sure it happened and go along.

At the Royal Palace, other tourists were taking pictures of the students everywhere we looked. I felt this sense of pride though, that when I took pictures of these kids, I wasn’t just taking pictures of so random oh-so-cute Cambodian students I saw the day I went to the Royal Palace. I was taking pictures of children I know. I know who is dyslexic, who can’t tell the difference between T and I, who likes to stay in at recess and read. I know these children as individuals, as kids with personalities, not as curios to be documented. And, not only do I know them, they know me. I am not some weird tourist snapping pictures of random children. When I take photos, I am capturing the antics of kids I know, who I see and play with five days a week. When I take photos, I am documenting a friendship.

When we took them to the playground after lunch, they were so carefree and happy – just truly, absolutely happy – I thought my heart was going to burst with each hug and kiss and high five I received.

All in all, the day was such a wonderful success. The kids loved it, I loved it, the Khmer teachers loved it, the monks loved it. It was one of the best days I’ve had in Cambodia.


3 comments:

  1. Charlotte Robinson- TaconnetJanuary 31, 2011 at 11:24 AM

    What a wonderful experience to interact with these adorable children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I can tell from what you wrote that you are having a fantastic experience!

    Had the kids ever seen the palace and pagoda before? Sometimes we don't get to see the great sites that are nearest to us.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of them had seen it, but for others it was the first time - It was really cool to see the faces of the kids who hadn't seen it. Sometimes they were just full of awe...

    ReplyDelete