Friday, December 17, 2010

Cultural Weekend 2010: A Museum, a Palace, and a Pagoda

This marks the commencement of Cultural Weekend 2010.

Today I went to the National Museum with my friends Georgie, Ally, and Chloe (left to right in the photo above), and I am including pictures from the trip I took to the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda with SCC.

You are only allowed to take photos outside the museum in the courtyard, but the museum is full of statues from the time the Khmer began carving them. A fun fact I learned about Khmer sculpture: When they first starting making statues, the artists couldn’t figure out how to keep the statues upright unless the legs were really thick and unrealistic looking. Later on, the legs start looking normal from the front. If you look at it from the side view though, you see that the artists have realized that if they just put a little support from the lower back of the statue to the floor, that keeps it upright just as well as the really thick legs.

At the Royal Palace and the Silver Pagoda you are again not allowed to take photos inside the buildings (but I took two anyway, very secretively).

1 comment: