Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Tension of Opposites

In the book I’ve just finished, Tuesdays with Morrie, Morrie talks about the tension of opposites, and how life is run by those tensions. The tension of opposites is exactly what it sounds like: it is the tension we feel between two opposite things. Morrie talks about it in relation to knowing he is going to die, but want to live life to the fullest. Here in Cambodia, I feel that tension everyday: in the classroom, at the apartments, around the city, and especially within myself.

In the classroom, there are moments when I am so happy to be teaching these children, because sometimes, they really understand what I am teaching. I see the instant when their face goes from the confused, what-the-heck-is-she-talking-about face, to the oh-oh-oh-I-get-it face. When I witness that moment, I feel as though what I am doing is not a waste of time, that I might actually be making a difference. Then there are the moments when I think about all the English teachers that have come before me and all the English teachers that will come after me in these student’s lives, and I wonder what I am actually accomplishing. I am here for three months teaching these children. Learning a language takes YEARS, not months, and I think I can really teach these students something they will remember? When I feel this despair, I have to remember that moment of understanding, and remember that even if I can’t teach them everything, I can at least solidify the knowledge they have, and maybe, if there is time, work on something new. I can come up with ideas, and leave them for the next volunteer, so that things aren’t repeated too often, so that we can build on the student’s English foundation. Even if I am only here for a short while, I can do something.

Back at the apartments, I hear the same complaints from the volunteers: They don’t know if what we are doing is worth the time we are giving. Is what we do going to be remembered in the future? Is what we are doing actually appreciated? We want to be giving our time, we want to be helping, but sometimes it feels as though it is pointless, that we should be doing something else, were we can instantly see that we are making a difference. When these questions come up, we all just have to remember that teaching and care is what we came here for, and that whatever we can do is more than what the students and children would get if we were not here.

Within the city, within the country, I see this tension everywhere. I see it in the fact that many things are becoming westernized, that the people all want the lightest skin possible, but there is a fierce national pride. Cambodians love their country and their culture to bits, but at the same time what everything they can from the Western world. It is a hard thing to keep even: retaining the good parts of old ways, but still moving forward into the next phase of life.

And finally, me. I am made from this tension right now, that is it. I have never wanted to be with my family and friends more than at this moment, nor have I ever wanted to stay and experience and help more than right now. It is hard, to have such strong pulls in both directions, and the key is to keep the pulls even. If it isn’t even, then I get homesick, I feel miserable, and I seriously want to find the next flight home and be on it. Each day it is easier to keep the forces even. Each success in the classroom makes it easier, each time a new volunteer arrives it makes it easier, each time I sit down to dinner and hear about the success and troubles of the other volunteers it makes it easier to stay.

It is hard being here, making new friends daily, not know the language, not understanding the customs all the time, not always being able to communicate, not always knowing what I am eating, but each day gets better, each day gets easier, and one of these days, I won’t have to worry about feeling homesick and ready to quit. One day, I won’t want to leave this place.

8 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Abby. Every moment counts, every smile you exchange lasts forever. Don't measure. Keep embracing the day.

    Love,

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving, Abby,

    As someone who is home right now (in your hometown), and feeling, shall we say, less than enthused with the holidays, I would give anything to be in your place.

    Enjoy it, because (as cliché as it sounds), you're truly on an adventure!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving Abby!
    You are definitely making a difference! When you are wondering if this is all worth while, look into the eyes of the children, and you will see "it". Remember the children of Nica, and know that just holding a hand or giving a hug is worth more than a million words! I am proud of you for taking on such an adventure, relax and enjoy every moment, and as you said earlier these children are receiving so much more than if the volunteers were not there! Live, Love , and Laugh every day, Hugs for you,,,,,,Love Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I csn say that your challenges allow for your mind to formulate good points. Cherish those fleeting experiences that offer your efforts validation. Keep your chin up, kid! Rob K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about you Abby and hope today is filled with beautiful sunny skies. Yesterday was Thanksgiving. We were at Uncle Tom's (who knew that that would be a family member and a old book reference at the same time?). We were all thankful to have each other and you in our lives. We had an amazing turkey dinner (but your Cambodian omelet sounded pretty good also). Your immediate family brought about a dozen pies--apparently your brother and sisters could not agree on what kind. Your dad wanted mince-meat. You probably can guess the rest. On the more mundane side, Bruce is busy figuring out how to meet you and have a Cambodian adventure together. He is eager to come. I will be eager to hear about it on your blog. Here it is raining and cool. I have a tour to do in downtown Boston today. Ordinarily my tourees might cancel--but they are coming from Baltimore--so we will all slosh around Boston talking about the Boston Tea Party and how Rev. Cotton Mather fought smallpox (and the devil) and how women wore long skirts and men had short pants. And apparently everyone in the colonies had bad teeth. Particularly the women. So tell us more about Cambodia; you have lots of avid readers! & love to you, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby, learning to get comfortable in that tension no matter where we find it in any given moment is life's hard work!! You are courageous and articulate about expressing it to others. Even in your blogs as you write you are making a difference. I hope that the people following your adventures are learning as well!! Thank You for You! love, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post. Wonderfully articulate about your feelings both towards your volunteering efforts, your experiences away from home, and your observations about the culture. Sounds to me like an op-ed piece in the New York Times...flesh it out with a little more detail and send it to them, see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments. It means so much to me, way more than you know, to know that you are all reading and thinking about me over here :)

    Love to all,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete