Monday, February 7, 2011

The Lost Arts Weeks

Last week, I spent two days making a traditional Khmer Shadow Puppet at Sovanna Phum Arts Association Theater (SPAA). The one I decided to make depicts a giant riding an elephant, and is pretty intricate. I spent about nine hours on it in total, and my hands, back and behind are all sore: my hands from holding the hammer and tools, my back from hunching over the short table I was working on, and my behind because the stool I was sitting on was really just a wooden plank.

The actual hide that my puppet started out as.

I am very happy with the result:

I am also taking music lessons at SPAA. When I told Mann, the guy who owns and runs the theater (he is really excitable, super friendly, and just exudes happiness) that I played the cello at home, he got really excited (weird, right?) and ran into he office. He came out a few seconds later with a stringed instrument called the tro sau. So, every day until the 12th I’ll be taking an hour lesson from one of his friends at the theater.

I am so excited to be playing an instrument again! I miss my cello.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing detail - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brick layer, puppet maker, what next! And what is that instrument?.It is a lot smaller and easier to lug around than a cello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan, yes, yes it is haha. It is called a tro sau, and is a traditional Khmer instrument.

    Thanks, Pam! I'm pretty proud of it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby you puppet is spectacular! I am curious did you use knives or punches? what kind of hide? I am so loving your posts! Have an excellent week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robyn, I used punches - and got a blister on my thumb (but it was SOOO worth it :D) And I'm not sure what kind of hide I used :S

    I'm glad you are loving the posts! I hope you have a wonderful week as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Abby it looks like your big adventures are continuing. I've just read and enjoyed your blog. It's nice to see glimpses of Cambodia now that I'm back in England. Enjoy the rest of your time and keep in touch!
    Much love Victoria x
    ps Your puppet is amazing - well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you ae pllaying your tro sau at Angkor Wat

    ReplyDelete