Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Birds

Last Saturday the kids on the island found a baby bird on one of the paths. We've all been taking care of it ever since - feeding it hamburger and water, trying to teach it to fly, and keeping it out of the jaws of Kitty and Sophie.On Wednesday morning I commented that I hoped the bird wasn't getting lonely all by itself in her little box, and then as I was walking to lunch, I saw Sophie walking slowly and stealthily toward one of the pine trees outside the lodge. Thinking she was after one of the elusive squirrels, I glanced up at the tree to see where it was, but didn't see a furry grey animal anywhere.

I heard something chirping, but didn't think much of it until I looked by the base of the tree and saw a second little baby bird. I swooped down between Sophie and the bird, pick the little terrified thing up, and brought it to our bird box.

Together they make quite a happy little Phoebe Family.

2 comments: